[xml] node "reuse" from one doc in another

I'm quite new to libxml usage, but it seems to be a handy way to deal with XML documents solving my problem.
I thought at least :-)

My little problem to solve: I'm getting some input XML doc (each with one out of several possible root
elements) , shall wrap this into a "cover document" by adding some control information to it and hand over
the "wrapper XML" to the next processing step.

For a proof of concept I've been starting with this:

   doc_in = xmlReadMemory(msg_xml, strlen(msg_xml), NULL, NULL, 0);
   root_node_in = xmlDocGetRootElement(doc_in);

   doc = xmlNewDoc(BAD_CAST "1.0");
   root_node = xmlNewNode(NULL, BAD_CAST "received");
   xmlNewProp(root_node, BAD_CAST "time", BAD_CAST "2017-03-01 17:57:21");
   xmlNewProp(root_node, BAD_CAST "from", BAD_CAST "32");
   xmlNewProp(root_node, BAD_CAST "type", BAD_CAST "control");
   xmlDocSetRootElement(doc, root_node);

   /* now add extracted node from input to new doc */
   xmlAddChild(root_node, root_node_in); /* <<--- causes the problem */

   /* show me result */
   xmlDocDump(stdout, doc_in);
   xmlDocDump(stdout, doc);
   xmlFreeDoc(doc); /* <<--- where it crashes */

the result is perfectly fitting my expectations, till I hit the xmlDocFree statement giving me
*** Error in `./main2': free(): invalid pointer: 0x099680de ***
Aborted (core dumped)

I've tried to check every pointer, the one indicated isn't visible to me at all...
From value range my expectation is it's somewhere in the control structure of doc.
If I leave out the node insertion there is no error on freeing the doc(s).
To be honest I have no clue what I'm doing wrong, but it seems I haven't understood internal behavior of
libxml yet :-(

Any helpful ideas? Is there be a better way doing this?
I'm trying not to produce much overhead and trying not to parse XML myself ;-)

Thanks,
Heinz

The information contained in this e-mail message is privileged and confidential and is for the exclusive use
of the addressee. The person who receives this message and who is not the addressee, one of his employees or
an agent entitled to hand it over to the addressee, is informed that he may not use, disclose or reproduce
the contents thereof, and is kindly asked to notify the sender and delete the e-mail immediately.