[xml] Memory usage 32 bit vs. 64 bit Linux

Hi Folks!

I have a question about memory usage of libxml2.
I'm using libxml2 on two different systems, once a 32 bit linux other one a 64 bit linux.
On both I run the same application which use libxml2 to parse xml files.
The application opens many small xml files (~200) with xmlParseFile.
The document (xmlDocPtr) stays open in memory.
I now noticed that the application running on 64 bit Linux uses more the 4 times the heap memory as on the 32 bit version. I could understand a double up of used memory due to all the pointers are now double the size. But 4 time???

I did a check with valgrinds massif tool and it tells me that most of the heap allocation (in my case 2/3 of the total heap consumption) comes from libxml2 xmlParseFile.

I don't know if it's a issue of libxml2 directly, but it seems it is.
I would appreciate any suggestions to get the memory usage down!

best regards,
Robert Grasböck

--
Ing. Robert Grasböck BSc.