Re: [xml] Adjacent text node merging

I think I am missing something ... I don't think it really "merges" ... it is comparing the address of the node elements, e.g.

 if ((parent->last != NULL) && (parent->last->type == XML_TEXT_NODE) &&
     (parent->last->name == cur->name) &&
     (parent->last != cur)) {
                /* this "merge" simply puts the content into  parent->last and removes the redundant cur ... because the address of the name as well as the type are the same  */
}

So parent->last->name is an address of a string ... and if it is the same as cur->name THEN the content is "merged"  -- it is more a check on having the exact same tag in the tree many times (when I say exact same tag I don't mean the tag data or name -- I am talking about the same memory location).  If you do as you suggest I would be careful checking for NULL values because if parent->last->name == cur->name (and parent->last != cur_ then cur->name would become NULL when parent->last->name becomes NULL.

In addition if you edit text content of a particular text node in the children list ... yet that content is from the same cur->name I would think other odd problems would happen.

This has come up a few times on this list because people think that adding an empty name is name=NULL  (that is a NULL name, name="" is an empty name).

I use xmlNewDocNode which makes new memory for name so the above merge would never happen.

If it was me I'd look at leaving the code alone in libxml2 and then when you need to make this content change use the SAME test as above before calling the standard routines:

cur->name = xmlStrdup(cur->name);

they will have the same value but DIFFERENT pointers and won't trigger the merge.

Or if you only notice after the fact then copy the node -- in non-tricky cases a memcpy will work just fine, and then use the xml Strdup on the name, and then

xmlReplaceNode(oldnode,newnode);

FREE the old node :-)  xmlFreeNode(oldnode);

Note I have been stating in previous emails and discussions lately the concept of using one's own wrappers -- never call any of the libxml2 functions directly if you can avoid it (you can carry that too far).  This is a perfect example where either your adding of the node or your reading and changing of the content of a node could be well wrapped -- and then just use your wrappers.