Re: [xml] libxml2 API crazy?

Daniel said "The key point is the absolute imperative of keeping API and ABI
stability."

I would add -- ALL changes must be 100% compatible -- with ALL of the O/S libxml2 runs on.  Which is daunting.  The switch from libxml to libxml2 was a minimal change despite a vast increase in functions and usability.  Certainly any "cleaning up" needs to not make people's code not compile.

And making it work with PHP, Linux, AIX, SCO, TI, HP, etc -- you have to be careful and most people don't even have access to a lot of platforms like that.  What works on Linux may not work on AIX or SCO.  And vice-versa.

Some of what looks like confusion is really "odd code to make it work everyplace" -- I know, a decade ago I cleaned something up on my AIX box and it crashed and died when I put it on Linux.  Then I knew why it was "odd code."

Simple things like the PRAGMA statement are different (otherwise it could solve the padding issue you brought up -- and easy fix is to stop padding altogether and suffer the minimal performance hit).

I suggest, Nikita, that you study and look around some more ... although I see no objection to the example you gave I still would bet if a poll was made, most people already have their own abstraction layer.  I was going to offer mine years ago and that was one issue Daniel reminded me of along with the fact that it was more work than just giving the code -- I'd have to make it work for everything on earth, not an easy task.