[xml] exslt str:tokenize/str:split issue

We are using libxml2/lib(e)xslt since 2004, and very happy with it in general. Recently we discovered that str:tokenize and str:split do not always meet our expectations. The problem we have is that empty elements are silently removed. As an example, str:tokenize('abcdef,fghij, klmnop, ,,qrstuvw , xyz, ,,', ',') generates a node-set with seven elements instead of the ten we expected. Some applications (conversion of .csv based files is the obvious example) really need to know where empty fields are present. A second enhancement we would like to have (in str:tokenize only) is an indication (in an attribute of the token) of the delimiter that was present between two tokens. What is your opinion about this?

--
with kind regards,

Age Jan Kuperus
Wageningen UR