Re: [xml] pretty-print & format

On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 10:07:58AM -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:
On Fri, 2013-08-02 at 14:53 +0100, Alex Bligh wrote:
On 2 Aug 2013, at 14:38, Liam R E Quin wrote:

On Fri, 2013-08-02 at 11:33 +0300, Afanasiy Fet wrote:

what may help reduce network load.

Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) is a W3C spec for XML-specific
compression that may be of interest, depending on what you're doing.

gzip works well and is built into libxml (at least on the reader side I think)

"well" is subjective of course, but yes, gzip can be effective as a
first cut. EXI has the theoretical advantage of transferring the
abstract tree, not the syntax, so that the reader doesn't need to
decompress the input and then parse pointy brackets, but can
reconstitute an in-memory tree directly. It can also make use of a
shared schema to get further reductions in bandwidth use. These
advantages can be especially significant on mobile, low-performance or
fixed-memory devices.

  My stupid cell phone has more memory and horsepower than my workstation
when I started working on libxml. I don't see any problem on the client
side myself.
  I have more problem with my browser exploding with the complexity of
what it needs to handle, resulting in having to kill it off on a regular
basis, than it having a CPU probem parsing the data. I will argue that
what we need is a simpler stack, not nano-optimizations for the few
parts which are actually staight and rather reliable. YMMV !

Daniel