Re: [xml] man pages have "$Date$" instead of real date

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 03:57:25PM +0100, Henry Law wrote:
On 23/10/12 12:34, Petr Sumbera wrote:
libxml2-2.9.0/doc/xmlcatalog.1:.TH "XMLCATALOG" "1" "$Date$" "libxml2"
"xmlcatalog Manual"
libxml2-2.9.0/doc/xmllint.1:.TH "XMLLINT" "1" "$Date$" "libxml2" ""

I would expect instead of $Date$ some real date string. Not sure how
this shall works but $Date$ is not translated by xsltproc..

This looka to me like one of the keywords that coders put into
source code that is stored in a versioning system such as CVS.  The
string "$Date$" is supposed to be replaced by the date on which the
code was checked in.  Therefore it's not intended to be translated
by xsltproc: it shouldn't ever get that far.

See http://www.cs.utah.edu/dept/old/texinfo/cvs/cvs_16.html for an
explanation of how CVS is supposed to use these strings.

  yeah, that comes from doc/xmlcatalog_man.xml
  <!-- date should be the date of the latest change or the release version -->
  <date>$Date$</date>

this was written nearly a decade ago, at the time we were using CVS
so this was working I guess. But git doesn't do that kind of tricks
anymore.

 2 options, either remove it or do some preprocessing before
generating the man page (and html page)

Daniel