[xml] xml find and replace

Hi

I'm using one large XML file to create several smaller sub-set files using xinclude. The only problem I have is that I need to change some of the nodes in the included parts. I can uniquely identify the parts I need to change using xpointer/xpath is there a way to do a find and replace using XML. Something like find xpointer="xpointer="xpointer(//parent[name='old']/node)" replace "node=new". Searching the web I've seen some examples in XSLT on how to do something like this, but I have never used XSLT. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this in XML.

Thank you
Stuart.