[xml] external DTD validation of large XML's

I am new to the libxml2 api and am looking to use it to create a simple tool that can validate large xml
files via external DTDs, and eventually XSDs. I've successfully built libxml2 on win7 using a mingw toolchain
and plan to build the tool as a statically linked exe for windows.

I've found http://mail.gnome.org/archives/xml/2004-July/msg00055.html and
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/xml/2009-November/msg00039.html and would appreciate pointers in the right
direction, either sections in xmllint.c to review or ideas on how to use the Reader api to do this.

I'm more concerned about memory usage and speed and have no preference between using the SAX2 or Reader apis.

Thanks,
Jon

---
blog: http://jonforums.github.com/
twitter: @jonforums

"Anyone who can only think of one way to spell a word obviously lacks imagination." - Mark Twain