[xml] Building libxml 2.7.8

Hi all,
this is my first email on the list.
I'm trying to build static libxml 2.7.8 from sources on a mac, gcc
version is "i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc.
build 5666) (dot 3)"  .
The configure script I use is
./configure --build=i386-apple-darwin10 --host=i686-apple-darwin10
--disable-shared --enable-static --without-debug --without-modules
--without-legacy --without-python

The only warnings I receive during make phase are:
ranlib: file: .libs/libxml2.a(SAX.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: .libs/libxml2.a(debugXML.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: .libs/libxml2.a(legacy.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: .libs/libxml2.a(xmlmodule.o) has no symbols
the make & make install phases goes on, creating the static libxml.a .

At the end of building, doing "nm -u libxml.a" it shows me too many
undefined symbols related to libxml, this is a little part of it only
for schematron.o :

libxml2.a(schematron.o):
___stack_chk_fail
___stack_chk_guard
___stderrp
___xmlGenericError
___xmlGenericErrorContext
___xmlRaiseError
___xmlSimpleError
_fputs
_memset
_snprintf
_xmlDictCreate
_xmlDictFree
_xmlDictLookup
_xmlDictReference
_xmlDocGetRootElement
_xmlFree
_xmlFreeDoc
_xmlFreePattern
_xmlGetLineNo
_xmlGetNoNsProp
_xmlGetNodePath
_xmlMalloc
_xmlNodeGetContent
_xmlPatternMatch
_xmlPatterncompile
_xmlReadFile
_xmlReadMemory
_xmlRealloc
_xmlStrEqual
_xmlStrcat
_xmlStrdup
_xmlStrlen
_xmlXPathCompiledEval
_xmlXPathCtxtCompile
_xmlXPathEval
_xmlXPathFreeCompExpr
_xmlXPathFreeContext
_xmlXPathFreeObject
_xmlXPathIsNaN
_xmlXPathNewContext
_xmlXPathRegisterNs

I obtain undefined symbols in these files, maybe all builded files :
entities.o , encoding.o, error.o, parserInternals.o, parser.o, tree.o,
hash.o, list.o, xmlIO.o, xmlmemory.o, uri.o, valid.o, xlink.o,
HTMLparser.o, HTMLtree.o, xpath.o, xpointer.o, xinclude.o, nanohttp.o,
nanoftp.o, DOCBparser.o, catalog.o, globals.o, threads.o, c14n.o,
xmlstring.o, xmlregexp.o, xmlschemas.o, xmlschemastypes.o,
xmlunicode.o, xmlreader.o, relaxng.o, dict.o, SAX2.o, xmlwriter.o,
chvalid.o, pattern.o, xmlsave.o, schematron.o .

As you can see all these symbols are related to libxml, but I can't
understand why they are undefined.

Can you tell me how can I solve this problem of undefined symbols ?

Thank you!