Re: [xml] Add new pretty-printing and sorting options for saving XML

On 05/10/2010, Adam Spragg <adam spra gg> wrote:
The idea of these options is to be able to combine them to produce a
"canonical", nearly line-oriented format for XML files.

Are you familiar with the "Canonical XML" W3C Recommendation and its
implementation in libxml2?
[snip]
The idea seems reasonable, but I don't know if adding code to libxml2
is the right first step. It's a core library people are rightly
nervous about updating, and with only an implementation and no spec to
go off,

Hmmm....if I redid the "sort" part of the patch to stand completely on its
own, rename the option to XML_SAVE_CANONICAL, and used it to implement the
"Canonical XML" spec instead, would that likely be more acceptable?

I could do a respin of the in-tag pretty-printing patch afterward if
anyone thought it was still worth discussing/speccing.

Adam