Re: [xml] OS/390 compatibility (EBCDIC)

On 2010-05-11 23:05, Roumen Petrov wrote:
Hi, Alon,
Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
Hello,

Trying to compile on OS/390, it should work, right?

I am getting:
---
$ ../../dep/bin/xmllint --version
../../dep/bin/xmllint: using libxml version 20707
    compiled with: Iconv ISO8859X
So far so good but what about iconv ?
Is it from gnu libc or external (standalone) from libiconv. The second
didn't support EBCDIC{xxx}.

I remember building libxml on OMVS (on z/OS 1.8?) quite some time ago,
and this mostly working. I do remember making some portability changes,
possibly to things like the IS_SPACE stuff Roumen mentions below.
I'm pretty sure OMVS had iconv, but maybe the encoding names it supports
do not include "ebcdic" (after all "ebcdic" is ambiguous - there are
several EBCDIC codepages).
Try "iconv -l" to get a list of valid encoding names.

Based on http://itc.virginia.edu/mss/OpenSSH.html it looks like you may
have more luck specifying "IBM-1047" as encoding name.

$ ../../dep/bin/xmllint sample.xml
sample.xml:1: parser error : encoding not supported EBCDIC
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ebcdic"?>

So if libiconv support EBCDIC then no idea.

Another point is that libxml contain some macros similar to IS_SPACE
that check for ASCII codes and this may break something in library. o
idea how to find all of them. May be with command like "grep -i
space.*32" or "grep -i space.*20" and to look near to lines found for
other macros.

^
sample.xml:1: parser error : Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate
encoding !