[xml] parse-time validation against a user provided DTD

Hi,

looking through the API docs, I can't really figure out a way to stick an
external DTD into the parser, so that it validates against that rather than
trying to load a DTD for the DOCTYPE (or also to do DTD validation if the
document does not define a DOCTYPE at all).

I can see that xmllint can validate against an externally provided DTD, but
only after parsing, so that doesn't help.

Has anyone done this before? Is there maybe even a preferred/obvious/RFTM
way of doing that? I'm interested in a way to do this a) by providing a
readily parsed xmlDtd, and maybe even b) by providing a public ID (in case
there is a shortcut other than looking up the DTD manually).

Thanks,

Stefan