Re: [xml] xmlSaveFormatFile not always formatting

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 07:47:30PM -0400, Connor Behan wrote:
My favourite way to format xml is to have indentations and newlines so I
though xmlSaveFormatFile would be the best function for me to use. It
outputs xml this way when the xml node it's saving is a newly created
one with xmlNewDoc... however if I open an existing xml file with
xmlParseFile and add anything to that node, calling xmlSaveFormat file
will add the new stuff all on one line.

  If libxml2 detects that there is already some text nodes as children of
a node it will disable automatic indenting for the whole subtree.
  Formating is an ad-hoc heuristic, the only way to be 100% sure that
the indenting is correct and non-destructive is to add the indentation
(i.e. the extra text nodes) at the application level. libxml2 should not
guess and will default to the safe side.

Daniel