Re: [xml] IO callbacks are not thread-safe

Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 05:33:54PM +0200, Petr Pajas wrote:
I think the original reason for this was that when Perl bindings are
used with mod_perl, there may be other (non-Perl) components using
the global callbacks differently; that's why XML::LibXML Perl
module tries to clean after itself (restoring whatever was in the
callbacks previously). Is there any other way around this?

  Urgh ..
Why do they need global URI handler registration ?
The cleanest wey would be to always use the I/O parser context creation
routine like xmlCtxtReadIO/xmlReadIO... and define the I/O handlers
to map to whatever is being registered globally now. Though the
limitation is for external subset resources, that doesn't work well.

Yes, this wouldn't work for things like imported XSLT stylesheets or
documents loaded with the XSLT document() function.

Maybe we need to make those per-thread but this is getting ugly !

For me personally, it would be OK if the Perl bindings had an option to
not touch the callbacks at all. We wouldn't need any changes on the
libxml side then. Only a caveat on this page would be nice:
http://xmlsoft.org/threads.html

Nick

--
aevum gmbh