[xml] iconv linker errors

I am trying to build libxml2 as  static library   on a embedded platform. For this purpose I have created my own makefile .

 I am getting the following linker error in my application

Undefined symbols:

 "_iconv_close", referenced from:

      _xmlCharEncCloseFunc in libmy.a(encoding.o)

      _xmlCharEncCloseFunc in libmy.a(encoding.o)

      _xmlFindCharEncodingHandler in libmy.a(encoding.o)

      _xmlFindCharEncodingHandler in libmy.a(encoding.o)

  "_iconv_open", referenced from:

      _xmlFindCharEncodingHandler in libmy.a(encoding.o)

      _xmlFindCharEncodingHandler in libmy.a(encoding.o)

      _xmlFindCharEncodingHandler in libmy.a(encoding.o)

      _xmlFindCharEncodingHandler in libmy.a(encoding.o)

  "_iconv", referenced from:

      _xmlIconvWrapper in libmy.a(encoding.o)

My applications uses a static lib - libmy.a which references the libxml2 code ( static - libxml2.a)

I believe that this is caused by the  not being able to take the WITH_ICONV = 0

option that i provide in my makefile .

the include/xmlversion.h also specifies this

/**

 * LIBXML_ICONV_ENABLED:

 *

 * Whether iconv support is available

 */

#if 0

#define LIBXML_ICONV_ENABLED

#endif

where/how do i need to specify this option in my makefile  so that there are no references to iconv.

Help is appreciated.