Re: [xml] XQuery

2008/9/25 Liam R E Quin <liam holoweb net>:
On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 19:06 +0200, Daniel Veillard wrote:
[...]
XQuery doesn't make that much sense when playing with a single document,

There are several implementations of XQuery that work on a single
document and that people say are useful.

my feeling is that it's more fit for a set/database of documents,
i.e. libxml2 might be used to implement an XQuery engine on top of
some database but just for within libxml2 it's not worth it.

As it stands today I don't know how good a fit libxml would be --
for XPath 2, nodes are typed, so you'd wanting to make some changes.
Certainly you could use libxml's XMLReader API to build data model
instances, though, and/or tie in to the W3C XML Schema validation.

dbxml (which uses Quilla) is a viable alternative for many people,
and the FLWOR Foundation is funding another, both in C++.  If you
are doing work in KDE, there's also an implementation from TrollTech
(Nokia now).

Just to clarify, you need not be doing work in KDE to use the
implementation in Qt. Qt != KDE. In fact you could use just the QtXml
and QtCore modules of Qt, and not have to link to all of the Qt
library.

Elvis

Liam