[xml] Problem with catalog resolution when using delegates

This is related to a similar post last year, the same issue has come up again and I don't think it was resolved the last time. So here it goes:

There's a catalog that has a single delegateSystem entry:

<catalog xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:entity:xmlns:xml:catalog">
    <delegateSystem
       systemIdStartString="http://doesnt.exist";
       catalog="delegate-catalog.xml"/>
</catalog>

The other catalog uses a rewriteURI entry:

<catalog xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:entity:xmlns:xml:catalog">
  <rewriteURI
    uriStartString="http://doesnt.exist";
    rewritePrefix="." />
</catalog>

When calling "xmlcatalog catalog.xml http://doesnt.exist/a.dtd"; it does not resolve, although I think it should. The resolution semantics in http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/spec-2001-08-06.html#s.semantics imply that after the delegateSystem has been seen, resolution should start again with the delegate catalogs instead of the original ones. In particular the rewriteURI rule should apply.

BTW: This thing is related to the SuSE setup of xml catalogs starting from /etc/xml/suse-catalog.xml containing package related catalogs. My problem is that http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/website/2.5.0/xsl/autolayout.xsl cannot be resolved.

Peter