Re: [xml] make dist fail if configure with ""

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 07:46:03PM +0200, Roumen Petrov wrote:
During some test related to cross-compilation for mingw host I found
that make dist fail in python subdirectory.

The libxml2 (SVN:VERSION=trunk; At revision 3695 ; 2008-02-17 ) is
configured --without-python.

First proposed patch don't resolve issues (in python subdir ! ) like
following:
- make tests in top builddir don't run always tests in python subdirectory :
Simple test-case to reproduce :
$ touch tests/Makefile
$ make tests
make: `tests' is up to date.

- make tests fail if builddir <> sourcedir:
I would like to use same source tree and to check
--{with|without}-python in different build directories.

The reason for failure (make dist) is that libxml2mod source list one of
generated files ( libxml2-py.c ) and this file is not generated in case
--without-python .

The simple patch is generated source file do not enter in distribution.

  Since the generation is for the python bindings, and the generation
is based on python, i think it's okay to drop the generated code from
the distribution, yes.

As example:
-libxml2mod_la_SOURCES = libxml.c types.c libxml2-py.c
+libxml2mod_la_SOURCES = libxml.c types.c
+nodist_libxml2mod_la_SOURCES = libxml2-py.c

This is documented in paragraph "Dist"/"Fine-grained distribution
control" from automake texinfo pages.

I would like to propose a patch (see attached file
libxml2-trunk-nopython.patch.gz ) that solve described problem and in
addition replace targets "install-data-local:" and "uninstall-local:"
with standard automake variables. Note patch is relative to python subdir.

Since sources (except prefixed with nodist_) and dist_xxx_DATA will
enter into distribution those files are removed from EXTRA_DIST list.

  Patch seems to work fine for me, if this help in other environments
that's great, so appplied and commited,

  thanks !

Daniel