[xml] Advice on large file handling

Hello,

An external company is going to send us very large xml files - up to 400MB - which will have to be
- validated against a schema (if validation fails, a report of all errors found by the parser is produced and processing is stopped)
- processed in order to use their data to update our database

Now I'm wondering what is the best approach to handle these files since the processing is quite simple but the files are REALLY large.

What is best in terms of performance: SAX or the reader?
Has anybody ever met with this problem?

Thanks for your help!

Massimo