[xml] how to not save <?xml version="1.0">

I am a xml beginnner, and I am using libxml2 to edit some data for a system configuration file which doesn't contain <?xml version="1.0">(all elements in this xml are quite standard). Even Though adding this tag to the file has no effect on anything, I still don't like to add it.

Currently I do this:

xmlparsefile()
do changes through tree
xmlSaveFile()
freedoc()

I don't know when the <?xml version="1.0"> is added, during parseFile ? or saveFile? Anyway, how can I avoid adding this?

Thanks and Regards,