[xml] xsltproc, xsl:version, and alternate prefixes

I have a stylesheet that starts this way:

  <xs:stylesheet
      xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
      xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
      xs:version="1.0">

This used to work just fine with xsltproc, as of a year or more ago.  I'm not
sure what version I used to use, but it was probably whatever was packaged in
Ubuntu at the time.

This evening I went to use that transform again, and it didn't work.  I got
this error message:

  compilation error: file /home/fdrake/projects/.../xform.xsl line 4 element
stylesheet
  xsl:version is missing: document may not be a stylesheet

I checked the specification (1.0, 1.1, 2.0), and it's quite clear that this is
processed in the usual way regarding the namespaces specification.  The
output file seems to be generated without any problems, so I'm unsure why
there's any output claiming an error.

Running "xsltproc --version" gives me:

  Using libxml 20627, libxslt 10120 and libexslt 813
  xsltproc was compiled against libxml 20627, libxslt 10120 and libexslt 813
  libxslt 10120 was compiled against libxml 20627
  libexslt 813 was compiled against libxml 20627

This is a stock install on Ubuntu 7.04.

Any ideas?  I hate ignoring error conditions, but this seems totally bogus.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.   <fdrake at acm.org>