[xml] Is it okay to add a node as the first child?

I see that the tree API functions for adding nodes (xmlNewNode(), xmlAddNode(), etc) all add the node to the end of the child list.

I believe I have a case where I need to add a new node at the beginning of the child list. I have some questions that I hope a kind person will answer:
 * Is there any reason I cannot do this?
 * Is there an API available that I have missed?
 * Assuming it is okay to do, is there anything I need to be careful of?
   It looks like I can just insert the xmlNodePtr at the front of the
   parent->children list.

Thanks,
Rush