From: Daniel Veillard [mailto:veillard redhat com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 2:38 AM
To: Yong Chen (yongche)
Cc: xml gnome org
Subject: Re: [xml] Question regarding Xpath and streaming

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 06:24:46PM -0700, Yong Chen (yongche) wrote:

Hi,

I've a question regarding xpath and streaming (xmlWriter):

I use xpath to filter a document so I get selected (or
filtered) nodes.
I also use xmlWriter to stream output. I wonder if I can use both
together.

Libxml xpath works by first getting xmlXpathContextPtr (API:
xmlXpathNewContext(doc)), this means the document (doc) has to be
available. But if I'm streaming the data into a file
(xmlNewTextWriterFilename()), I don't have the doc
available. So how
can I apply the xpath filtering in xmlWriter streaming?

  Normal XPath operations require a full tree.
  There is a pattern module allowing to stream for a very
small subset of XPath, see
http://xmlsoft.org/html/libxml-pattern.html , but I don't
have user friendly docs for it.

Daniel

veillard redhat com  | libxml GNOME XML XSLT toolkit
http://xmlsoft.org/ http://veillard.com/ | Rpmfind RPM search
engine  http://rpmfind.net/