Re: [xml] noob xpath question

Perhaps your difficulty is not with XPath, but rather with the command
interpreter (bash?) on your system?  Try surrounding your query with
"single-quotes", i.e. make the command line query
   '/myroot/myelement[ type="a"]'
and see if the result becomes more meaningful.

This was exactly the problem. Thanks to you and also to Michael Hanson off-list for pointing this out as well.

Sorry for the diversion - I should have caught my error, but I learned quite a bit from the responses anyway.

Stefan Jeglinski