[xml] combining xml trees

I have an xml tree that looks like this:

<root>
   <xxx>
      <yyy>
         <.../>
      </yyy>
      <zzz>
         <.../>
      </zzz>
   </xxx>
</root>

The base tree is stored in a file on the local computer. Periodically, the local computer queries another machine on the network, and receives a partial update to the main xml tree, say something like this:

<root>
   <xxx>
      <zzz>
         <.../>
      </zzz>
   </xxx>
</root>

The partial tree will not have any new nodes; just new data for already existing nodes.

Is there some clean way to fold the new tree into the old tree without losing any of the other data?

Thanks,

--Yan