Re: [xml] Behaviour of xmlNodeAddContent() vs. xmlNodeSetContent()

  "we dont' know what the data are but we expect to process
them cleanly"
this sounds very similar to not knowing the encoding of a
piece of text,

Similar, maybe. Tho my heuristics would've to answer a question
with far less possibilties: Does an input buffer contain references
to (pre-) defined entities or not?
I still think it's possible, but it's not efficient (at least not
by comparison to a developer using a proper call for an actual
piece of input).

you may try to apply heuristic but it will come bite you back
no matter what.

Maybe, but I'll bite back... 8)

In both case only one solution: educate the users/developpers.

Well, I'm sure that you're well aware that some (ideal) solutions
are hard to realise...

  it's perfectly clean to use diret access to the node structure. Just
check that the target strings are not from the doc
dictionnary (in which case don't free them)

How do I check this (OK, I can look that up, but probably you know
it OTTOYH)?

and overwise use xmlMalloc/xmlFree to  manipulate the target
text nodes. Of course if you use non-predefined entities,
then you will
have to add entities references to the element children list.

I'll take xmlNodeSetContent() as template to implement an
"...addContent" with entity support

Thanks & Ciao, Markus

P.S.: Attached is a diff of tree.c (against the current CVS head)
      which would add some documentation for the
      xmlNode[Set|Add]Content functions.