[xml] building libxml2 2.6.24 with python support

Help!

I am trying to build latest libxml2 (2.6.24) with python and I'm not
getting anywhere.

I have patches to contribute when I get this working.

I am configuring like this:

 ./configure --prefix=/home/src/libxml2-release/root \
             --with-python

but when I:

  make

I get this error:

  /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -pedantic -W
  -Wformat -Wunused -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wcomment
  -Wtrigraphs -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wuninitialized -Wparentheses
  -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings
  -Waggregate-return -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
  -Wnested-externs -Winline -Wredundant-decls   -o libxml2mod.la
  -rpath  -module -avoid-version -L../.libs libxml.lo types.lo
  libxml2-py.lo ../libxml2.la

  libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed
  make[3]: *** [libxml2mod.la] Error 1

The configure help suggests that I can specify a directory for the
--with-python option:

   --with-python[=DIR]

but I'm not sure exactly _what_ directory this wants (there doesn't
appear to be any doc on the subject).

When I run configure it says it finds python but complains that it
doesn't know what PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGES is.

When I run:

   bash -x configure ...

I can see that it does find the correct python site-packages dir.

I have a bunch of changes to improve the python type mapping and I
can't get them in if I can't test them.

Help me obi wan kenobi you're my only hope.

Nic Ferrier