Re: [xml] make problem on solaris

Paul, thank you for your infomative response.

 I looked and ar is installed here:
/usr/ccs/bin/ar
So it appears the configure script isn't finding it.

How can I tell the configure script where ar is?

On 30 Mar 2006 15:40:30 -0500, Paul D. Smith <psmith gnu org> wrote:
%% "Brian E. Lozier" <brian massassi net> writes:

  bel> I am trying to get libxml2 compiled on a solaris (uname -a: SunOS
  bel> buildsolaris 5.8 Generic_108528-13 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2).  I am
  bel> getting errors during the "make" step but I cannot figure out what the
  bel> actual error is (and thus I don't even know where to start looking for
  bel> a solution).  I tried attaching logs of configure & make but the list
  bel> rejected them.  So most of it is pasted to the bottom of this message.

Something is misconfigured on your system; look:

  bel> false cru .libs/libxml2.a  SAX.o entities.o encoding.o error.o
  bel> parserInternals.o parser.o tree.o hash.o list.o xmlIO.o xmlmemory.o
  bel> uri.o valid.o xlink.o HTMLparser.o HTMLtree.o debugXML.o xpath.o
  bel> xpointer.o xinclude.o nanohttp.o nanoftp.o DOCBparser.o catalog.o
  bel> globals.o threads.o c14n.o xmlstring.o xmlregexp.o xmlschemas.o
  bel> xmlschemastypes.o xmlunicode.o xmlreader.o relaxng.o dict.o SAX2.o
  bel> xmlwriter.o legacy.o chvalid.o pattern.o xmlsave.o xmlmodule.o
  bel> schematron.o

Note that the command you're invoking here is actually "false", then
you're sending it a bunch of .o files.

"false" is a UNIX command that always fails (that is, always exits with
a non-0 exit code).  It doesn't print anything, it just exits with a
failure.  That's why you're seeing this:

  bel> make[2]: *** [libxml2.la] Error 1

This is make telling you that the command it invoked ("false" in this
case) failed.

Given the arguments above I'd say that "false" is supposed to be the ar
(archive) command, which is used to create static libraries (libxxx.a).

It seems likely that you either don't have one installed, or whatever
configure step you ran couldn't find one and so used "false" instead.

This is (IMO) a poorly thought-out response to not being able to find
"ar"; either the tool should fail during the configuration or else it
should provide a much more informative message.

But, there you go!

 Paul D. Smith <psmith gnu org>          Find some GNU make tips at: