[xml] libxml2 and windows

Title: libxml2 and windows

Hi all-

I'm sure this will end up being a silly question with an obvious
answer, but not being windows savvy, I'm stumped. It appears to
me that any storage acquired by any function in the libxml2 dll
cannot be freed by any function in any other dll (my application
code). The exact same code works perfectly well in the Linux
environment, and, believe it or not, in the IBM mainframe z/OS
environment, but fails miserably in the windoes environment.
For instance, I can acquire storage with xmlStrdup and
consequently read that storage from anywhere, but when I'm
done with it, a call to free() results in an Access Violation.

Someone here surmised that the different dlls maintain their
own private heaps and don't like others mucking with it. Is
this reasonable? Would this be solved with some magic compiler
or linker switches? Surely this can't be expected behavior.

Thanks,

Michael Martin