[xml] problem with xmlNewText and encodings

Hi all,

I'm having text represented in iso-8859-15 and the xml/xslt finally getting
this text to be transformed to XHTML output will output everything in UTF-8.
However, the text I pass to xmlNewText/xmlNewTextChild is iso-8859-15, so, how
do I tell it to properly handle encodings here?
the final output looks just 1-to-1 passed, though, the german umlauts are not
properly presented as they're still(!) iiso-8859-15 encoding whereas the
remaining part of the XHTML result is UTF-8.

Many thanks,
Christian Parpart.