[xml] Any xsd:import fixes lately?

Hi,

(I tried to seach for info in the archives before posting this, but it seems
there are som problems with the search indexes...)

I'm using xmlstarlet, an xml command line tool which I understand is based
on libxml2.

Including the follwing reference in a schema makes xmlstarlet hang
(presumably somewhere within libxml2) when I use the schema to validate an
xml document:
<xsd:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace";
schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd"/>

If I do not import the external schema (and remove related elements in the
target xml document) the validation works fine.

The latest build of xmlstarlet dates back to March 2003, and I'm tempted to
get the source (including the libxml2 source on which its based) by CVS and
build a new version myself. Not being fluent in these things, it would take
me a while.

So the question before digging into it is: Is it probable that this problem
is caused by an outdated version of libxml, and is there a chance that it
has been fixed by now?

Kind regards,
Svenn-Ivar