Re: [xml] Questions about xml:id

Funny this topic came up as I just recently was looking at the id stuff for the PHP DOM extension. Have a few questions/comments as well as a few issues regarding this.

Daniel Veillard wrote:

It seems that libxml2 only gives an attribute that magic ID-ness
if the attribute's local-name is "xml:id"
[in perl:  $node->setAttribute('xml:id','someid'); ]
rather than an "id" attribute in xml namespace
[in perl: $node->setAttributeNS('http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace','id','someid'); ]
Is this the intention?

 Well the focus so far has mostly been toward parsing xml:id and handling
it only from a serialization. I didn't really looked at it from an API
perspective. But the behaviour exposed sounds like a bug.
Should the ID really be set with setAttribute/NS functions or should it only be only set (when manually building a tree that is) using one of the setIdAttribute methods from core 3 - meaning it would be up to the developer to call xmlAddID?

 it's not complete probably. Removal of the attribute generate removal
from the ID table, but modification are not tracked down apparently.
Sounds like a bug too.
This is where I started running into issues. both xmlIsID and xmlFreeProp only handle IDs if the doc has intSubset or extSubset. Using xml:id or implementing setIdAttribute does not require subsets, so if the attribute gets freed along the way, the ID never gets removed from the table and calling xmlGetID returns invalid data.

I can understand wanting to do that type of check as to not have to check every attribute when being free for performance reasons, so was wondering wether the attribute atype could also be added so that either the doc has a subset or atype==XML_ATTRIBUTE_ID. This would also require resetting the atype in xmlRemoveID as it gets set in xmlAddID but never reset when removed.

Next in xmlFreeProp is the check for attribute parent. The attribute itself can get unlinked and freed but xmlFreeProp only checks for an ID if the attribute has a parent. I'm not sure wether the the attribute remains and ID if unlinked, but if it doesn't, then xmlUnlinkNode should remove the ID. If it still remains an ID then xmlFreeProp should not require a parent node when checking if attribute is an ID to be removed.

Rob