Re: [xml] catalog problem with xmlto

Uwe Fechner said:
Hello,

I am using gentoo linux.

I have problems to use catalogs.
If I try to install (called "emerge" in gentoo linux) the package xmlto
I get the error message:

warning: failed to load external entity
"http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl";
compilation error: file
/var/tmp/portage/xmlto-0.0.18/temp/xmlto-xsl.VYRlh4 line 4 element import
xsl:import : unable to load
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl
warning: failed to load external entity
"http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl";
compilation error: file
/var/tmp/portage/xmlto-0.0.18/temp/xmlto-xsl.TRDJdu line 4 element import
xsl:import : unable to load
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl

Q: I'm trying to build xmlto on my Debian box, but it doesn't work.

A: If you get `Attempt to load network entity' errors when building
   xmlto, your system does not have the required support for XML
   Catalogs
   (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/spec-2001-08-06.html).
   In particular, Debian has no support for these.  Try the Fedora
   Project <http://fedora.redhat.com>.
make[1]: *** [man/man1/xmlto.1] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xmlto-0.0.18/work/xmlto-0.0.18'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I don't use debian, I have the file docbook.xsl installed locally, the url:
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl
can be resolved via internet (using wget), still I get this error message.

The gentoo package maintainer doesn't understand the reason of this problem.

How can I debug, if xml catalogs for xsl transformations work correctly
on my
system?

(I am using libxml2 2.6.19)

Any help appreciated.

Uwe Fechner

I, too, am using gentoo linux, and I have no problem "emerging" xmlto.

I believe that your problem is most likely a "gentoo" problem, and not a
libxml2 / libxslt problem.  According to the error messages which you posted,
the "emerge" is unable to find a required xsl stylesheet.  However, if things
are working properly (as they are on my system, but apparently not on your
system), when the stylesheet is required, the software (probably xsltproc)
will try to use the "catalog" to locate it.  On my system, in the directory
/etc/xml, there are two files (named 'catalog' and 'docbook').  The file
'docbook' has the information necessary to "map" the request to the actual
file, which is located in
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.68.1/manpages/docbook.xsl (which
comes from app-text/docbook-xsl-stylesheets ).

Somewhat "off-topic" for this list, I suggest you check / re-emerge
   app-text/docbook-xsl-stylesheets
   app-text/build-docbook-catalog
   app-text/docbook-sgml
and if that fails to fix the problem, try searching in forums.gentoo.org.

HTH

Bill