Re: [xml] Best Process for InnerXML from Xpath Query

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 07:32:34AM -0500, Alex Neblett wrote:
Hello again:)

I must have caught a nerve or two judging by the response...not really sure
why...

  Very simple, read why, you're doing it again !
Your message has an
header, hence hijacking the existing thread which was not related

  Hitting "Reply to" and changing the subject breaks threading
on conformant mail agents. Do NOT do this !

Maybe I should try rewording the question...

I would like to be able to read the innerxml as a string result of an Xpath
query.

  still completely opaque what is an innerxml definition. How does this
relate to XPath ?

So, for example, if I have some xml such as:

<topnode>
<anode>
<bnode>sjdlkdsf</bnode>
<cnode>lkjlkdsf</cnode>
</anode>
<tnode>
<unode>sjsddlkdsf</unode>
<vnode>lkjlkfddsf</vnode>
</tnode>
</topnode>

and queried //anode the resulting string would be...

  if you query //anode you get a Node Set, not a string !

<bnode>sjdlkdsf</bnode>
<cnode>lkjlkdsf</cnode>

  That would be a concatenation of the serialization of the
2 returned nodes with a line feed and extra spaces added to the serialization.
libxml2 will never give this back to you by default !

I wrote a C# wrapper which calls libxml2 to do this, but I am not entirely
happy with my approach as was looking for guidance as to a better way to do
it...

  I'm still not sure of what you want to do. There is an example
    http://xmlsoft.org/examples/index.html#xpath1.c
doing "Evaluate XPath expression and prints result node set." Maybe your
problem is about saving the result, I can't tell...

  I really can't debug other people code, especially not standalone, even
worse if it include constructs I don't even understand.

My example function is below:

  Based on http://xmlsoft.org/bugs.html indications it is pretty clear
that I could not debug your code, and that's why I did not reply to your
first mail.

Daniel