Re: [xml] libxml2/python/setup.py, or libxml2-python/setup.py ?

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 07:53:40PM +0000, Frans Englich wrote:

Hello,

I have no technical trouble with libxml2 -- but I am confused on what
packages/conbinations to use when it comes to installing Python bindings for
libxslt and libxml2 from source.

  hum, yes this can be confusing.

The libxml2 package has a setup.py file in its sub folder python/ which
installs fully functional Python bindings for it, AFAICT.

The libxslt package has a python/ directory, but no setup.py -- I've not
managed to install libxslt Python bindings from the libxslt package.

  yes it reuses the one from libxml2

Then there's the libxml2-python package, which installs both libxml2 and
libxslt bindings. The most recent release I found was 2.6.15
(ftp://xmlsoft.org/python/), I assume no changes in libxml2 2.6.16 lead to
changes in the Python bindings.

  For Linux and most unix like the best is to let make/make install
build the bindings and install them. For other systems use the
libxml2-python.

I now wonder, what is the correct procedure for installing bindings from
source for, say libxml2? Does it matter if I use libxml2-python or
libxml2/python? If I want to install bindings for libxslt, is libxml2-python
the only option?

  On some platforms yes, but you can rebuild them with your current version
the enclosed file is the Unix shell script I use to make the libxml2-python
releases from the current tree. The problem is that I don't always release
libxml2 and libxslt versions at the same time, or I simply forget to run the
script <grin/>

Daniel