[xml] Modules and APIs for LSB

Hi Daniel,
        I will like to confirm some of things for LSB inclusion. You
have indicated this in your earlier emails, but I thought I should
summarize here for confirmation etc...

Here is the summary of what is excluded from LSB:

libxml2 has 47 different sub modules. Most of the modules are used by
applications, except a few which are either deprecated or internal. The
following modules should not be included into the LSB specification:
* DOCBparser - deprecated
* SAX - deprecated
* schemasInternals - not stable enough to be included
* XLink - unfinished and not stable
* xmlunicode - low-level; should not be used externally but interface is
public
* chvalid - low-level; should not be used externally but interface is
public
* nanohttp - low-level; should not be used externally but interface is
public
* nanoftp - low-level; should not be used externally but interface is
public

The following functions should not be included:

HTMLparser :htmlNodeStatus - Experimental

catalog :xmlCatalogGetSystem, xmlCatalogGetPublic - deprecated

entities: xmlCleanupPredefinedEntities, xmlCreateEntitiesTable,
xmlInitializePredefinedEntities, xmlEncodeEntities - deprecated

parser: xmlGetFeature, xmlGetFeaturesList, xmlSetFeature - deprecated

parserInternals: xmlCheckLanguageID, xmlDecodeEntities, xmlHandleEntity,
xmlNamespaceParseNCName, xmlNamespaceParseNSDef, xmlNamespaceParseQName,
xmlParseNamespace, xmlParseQuotedString, xmlParserHandleReference,
xmlScanName - deprecated

tree: xmlDOMWrapRemoveNode, xmlDOMWrapReconcileNamespaces,
xmlDOMWrapAdoptNode  - Experimental

tree: xmlNewGlobalNs - deprecated

valid: xmlCopyElementContent,
xmlFreeElementContent,xmlNewElementContent, xmlSprintfElementContent -
deprecated

Same information can be found on LSB Wiki at:
http://www.linuxbase.org/LSBWiki/LibXml2

Can you please confirm this?

Also, if nanoHTTP/Ftp is not included, what is the alternative for
application developers? I did see some of the APIs wrapped by xmlIO
interfaces but not all (e.g. ScanProxy). Is that correct?

Also, I will like to find out whether following types are really
required by application developers (and hence should they be in LSB?).

attributeSAXFunc
htmlParserInputPtr
htmlParserNodeInfo
xmlSAXHandlerV1Ptr
xmlSchematronValidityErrorFunc
xmlSchematronValidityWarningFunc
xmlValidStatePtr
xmlXPathVariablePtr

htmlElemDescPtr, htmlEntityDescPtr, htmlParserInput

xmlShellCmd
xmlXPathEvalFunc
xmlXPathFuncPtr

Please let me know whether these types are required for app developers
as I could not find them used by any interfaces etc. Once confirmed, I
will updated LSB spec.

Sorry for rather long email...

Thanks for your help.

-Rajesh

PS. I will send out email here again in few days announcing availability
of LSB Desktop spec once I update the libxml2 spec based on your
response to this email.