[xml] compilation problem with mingw

Hello,

I tried to compile some codes on Windows XP using the mingw runtime+gcc
(latest version) and the binaries from
http://www.zlatkovic.com/libxml.en.html for libxml2, iconv and zlib.
As far as I can understand this is a bit dirty to proceed like this since the
above binaries have not been compiled using the mingw runtime !
I did it because there isn't any recent version of libxml2 under mingw and I
need xmlwriter and xmlreader API.
In fact, I obtained the two following errors :

C:\Program Files\GnuWin32\lib/libxml2.a(int.a.msvc/valid.obj)(.text+0x6):..
\valid.c: undefined reference to `_chkstk'

C:\Program Files\GnuWin32\lib/libxml2.a(int.a.msvc/xpath.obj)(.text+0xa4):..
\xpath.c: undefined reference to `_ftol2'

... and I don't really understand this !!

Then I have two questions :

1 - Does it possible to use the "zlatkovic" binaries to compile under mingw
runtime .
2 - Do I need to compile myself libxml2 under mingw ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

J.B.