From: Daniel Veillard [mailto:veillard redhat com]
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 4:50 AM
To: xml gnome org; Albert Chin
Cc: Parag Chandra
Subject: Re: [xml] AIX 5.1: libxml2 linked statically, yet complains of
missing libxml2.so.2 ?

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 03:04:02PM -0600, Albert Chin wrote:
On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 10:20:24AM -0500, Parag Chandra wrote:
I don?t understand why it would be trying to load what appears to be
the shared library when I have linked against libxml2.a. In fact, I
cannot even locate the shared library; it doesn?t seem like it was
built. After doing a ?make install?, all I see in the lib/ subdir
are the following 4 files: libxml2.a, libxml2.la, pkgconfig,
xml2Conf.sh.

The default shared library extension on AIX is `.a'. Look at /usr/lib.
You won't find many `.so' files. To have libtool create a `.so'
extension, set LDFLAGS="-Wl,-brtl" in your environment before
./configure.

  hum, you mean that by default automake + libtools doesn't generate
AIX shared library correctly ? If yes that's scary. Might depend on
the version of AIX and tools too I assume.

Daniel

veillard redhat com  | libxml GNOME XML XSLT toolkit
http://xmlsoft.org/