[xml] Any way to skip DTD validation?

Hello.
I have a rookie quetion. I'll appreicate any help!

I'm trying to parse a XHTML file with libxml, which works fine except that
it seems a little bit slow.
When libxml is parsing other XML files, libxml parses it instantly.

My first guess is that this is because my XHTML file contains the dtd
declaration,
( http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd ) and it takes
time to
validate a given XML file with DTD. (Please correct me if I'm wrong !)

That being said, I wonder if there is any way that I can set some flags or
pass some parameters to make libxml to skip DTD validation.

Thank you  in advance,
Kei