Re: [xml] XML Schema QNames

[ Seems my answer from yesterday didn't appear in the mailing-list, reposting ]

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 12:20:37AM +0100, Adam Dickmeiss wrote:
I've seen what appears to be a bug in the handling of type names in XML
schema handler of libxml2. These type names are referred to as QNames in
the XML
schema standard.

See:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#section-Constraints-on-XML-Representations-of-Schemas

The issue can be illustrated with the schema:

<schema xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema'
  targetNamespace='http://my.ns/'>
<element name='my' type='string'/>
</schema>

Here, the omitted prefix in 'string' is treated as NS http://my.ns/,
when it should really be http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema

  Oh, okay.... my head did hurt each time I have tried to really understand
from the spec the expected behaviour about namespace propagation and
composition in the context of XML Schemas.

Attached is a patch.ns + 2 new tests which modifies
xmlschemas.c:xmlGetQNameProp so that it returns default namespace if
prefix is omitted for Qname. The patch also _removes_ 'fallback' to
targetNamespace, which IMHO is not to be used.

  okay,

Removing this fallback made test po1_0.xsd fail. It turned out that this
schema had two bad type references with omitted prefixes (when that was
not allowed). Patch for po1_0.xsd is part of patch.ns.

  Hum, I think I copied po1_0.xsd directly from the XML Schemas Primer,
maybe I made a mistake doing that copy or I missed something else...

  I applied the patch, maybe this will fix the problem that the xmlbench
author reported about QName when running the benchmark suite.
In general I very much welcome fixes you and others can provide w.r.t. XML
Schemas implementation and cleanup. There is a large test suite a W3C but
when I looked at it nearly 2 years ago libxml2 Schemas was really too
incomplete to even start trying running against it. Maybe this would make
more sense now, though there is still a parts which are not implemented
like identity constraints.

  Thanks a lot, this was just commited in CVS,

Daniel