Re: [xml] xmllint and HTML

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 03:47:47PM +0000, Alberto Manuel Brandão Simões wrote:
On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 15:34, Jesse Pelton wrote:
On the second point, at least, xmllint is correct.  According to
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424/present/graphics.html#edef-HR,
an end tag for <hr> is forbidden in HTML.  (It's a different story in XHTML,
of course, but XHTML should be treated as XML, not HTML.)

OK, then should I bugzilla it, or not?

  Hum, then no. Clearly it's not a bug:
    Start tag: required, End tag: forbidden

By the way, it would be nice if --html do not complain if you send him a
xml file (looking to the header we could change to XML parser without
the user need to look at the file to see if it is xhtml).

  Hum, if people use xmllint to check SGML HTML, then they are
checking for the vocabulary used too, and switching transparently
to an XML parser which would just check well formedness doesn't
sound right. If a simple XML file

<foobar/>

ends up in the middle of your set of HTML files, then with the
behaviour you suggest xmllint would not raise any error about it.
No that doesn't sound a good idea to me.

Daniel