Re: [xml] HTML vs html in DOCTYPE

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 09:38:06AM +0100, Christian Stocker wrote:
Hi

I just realized, that libxml2-2.6.0 outputs

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd";>

with the html outpt, while 2.5.6 did:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd";>

(HTML vs html)

What's the reason for changing this? The lowercase isn't invalid per se
but http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html and
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/sgml/dtd.html recommend using the
Upper-Case version.

Personally, I don't mind which version is used, just one of our test
failed due to this issue and I'm wondering now, why this was changed or
if it's even a bug ;)

  it was changed on-purpose. XHTML syntax is lowercase, basically this lowers
the barrier when switching from SGML HTML to XHTML, and you have more chances
of generating valid HTML in modern frameworks by using the lowercase version
than when using the uppercase version. The world is slowly moving toward
XHTML and this just reflects that tendancy :-)

Daniel