"Re: [xml] namespace handling"

Hi,

Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 06:09:49PM +0200, Kasimier Buchcik wrote:
1. A list of namespaces on the xmlDoc.

  Was okay with namespaces from 1998, completely useless with current
namespaces which are scope based I'm afraid.

I see. I didn't know that. Such a pity.
Could you clarify the processes that handle scope based namespaces?

  I don't think I'm ready to completely break libxml2 and libxslt code
to handle namespaces in a very different way. It would also impact
all the APIs which work with xmlNsPtr, really no I don't think it's
an option at this point.

Hmm, I don't know if we mean the same here, since the list on xmlDoc
still would consist of a xmlNsPtr chain. IOW node->ns would still be a
xmlNsPtr, but the destination would be in the chain on the xmlDoc and
not somewhere in the tree, where managing namespaces seems to complicate
things. I wonder what the difference for libxslt would be? So if we
assume that nothig changes from the view of a "node->ns", what would be
the main drawbacks?
This issue is crucial for us, since we need to perform a lot of work
with DOM 2, which produces too much namespace declarations by now and is
slowed down by reconciliation processes.

Thanks,

Kasimier Buchcik