[xml] Re: [xslt] libxslt effects on _private member of libxml structures

Hi,

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Daniel Veillard wrote:
 From a quick look at the archives, I got the impression that libxslt
will, in some cases, change the "_private" member of the libxml
structures.  I'm wondering what cases it will do this in.

interesting. This means that Gdome2 users may run into serious troubles as
Gdome2 uses _private to store pointers to its own wrappers. (We also have
a Gdome2-aware binding of libxslt).

  For the stylesheet compilation, the document is modified and
_private is used to attach the compiled operations to the nodes
in the stylesheet tree.

This may be OK as we assume the stylesheet becomes "opaque" after it is
compiled, even though a malicious user could in principle remember the
original DOM document...

  For the input documents, _private is used only when key() are
defined to attach the keys to the nodes.
[...]

So this is a problem (for Gdome2).

to the node, and no other place to attach it than the _private
location.

an hash-table maybe?

The question is: is _private supposed to "private"? If so, it should
probably be hidden in the API and the user should uniformly use hash
tables to associate extra data to libxml2 nodes. If _private is supposed
to be used by the users, then libxml2 should not make any use of it.

Regards,

-- luca