Re: [xml] debugging outputbuffer code in libxml

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 04:19:34PM -0500, Gennady Feldman wrote:
Ok, I downloaded the source code for libxml 2.5.4 and built a test
program to test the outputbuffer code on windows. A couple of notes,
there seems to be a problem with the tar.gz file when using WinZip
8.1-SR1, it keeps complaining about some weird import_0_* patterns in
the tar file (could be a winzip problem).

Also when I tried compiling using MS Visual Studio 6.0 and opened the
dsp/dsw files from the dsp directory I found that there is an include
file missing from the distribution "xmlwin32version.h" and there are a
couple of c files missing from the project (got unresolved symbols when
building).

The project files in win32\dsp have not been updated for at least a
year. In order to build libxml in a supported way, you must build it
from the command line, as described in win32\readme.txt.

For the beginning, I'll add the big warning in the readme file in each
subdirectory below win32, stating that the stuff is old, broken and
should be used only if the user is ready to play with it.

But this is not even the most interesting part, I started debugging the
libxml2 and noticed a couple of things that I found to be rather
dangerous. Allow me to explain, here is the output of my test program:
[ snipped ]

Either you or me are misunderstanding the encoder code. Can you send me
your test program, along with the XML it was parsing, or tell me what to
do to provoke libxml to write beyond the end of the buffer it
allocated?

Ciao,
Igor