[xml] Re: [libxml] xmllint misses namespace bug?

Daniel Veillard wrote:

> [ Cc'ing the mailing list, I don't see why this wasn't sent there ! ]

... because I wanted to check first if it's a known bug, and if it isn't, submit a bug report in the bugzilla.

I can understand that you don't want people to email libxml related stuff to you directly, but I don't think it's *ever* appropriate to post contents of private emails to public lists.

(To anyone replying: I'm not subscribed, please CC me.)

> On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 09:57:46PM +0200, Tobias Reif wrote:
>
>>   xmlns:="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg";
>>
>>Note the colon after "xmlns" in line 6.
>>
>>Xerces:
>>
>>Error at file C:\tmp\colon_attr_name.txt.743259, line 6, char 10
>>   Message: Attribute 'xmlns:' is not declared for element 'svg'
>>
>>latest Window version
>>libxml2-2.5.7.win32\util\xmllint
>>
>>xmllint --noout --valid --catalogs colon_attr_name.txt
>>
>>=> no error raised
>>
>   Your document is a correct XML-1.0 document.

It may be well-formed, but I don't think zero-length prefixes are legal.
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#ns-decl
  [2] PrefixedAttName  ::= 'xmlns:' NCName
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#NT-NCName
  [4] NCName  ::= (Letter | '_') (NCNameChar)*

> The parser will not raise a well formed error.

If xmllint is namespace-aware, it might make sense to raise an error for zero-length prefixes.

> It probably should raise a validity error

For sure.

> and that may be a bug but it depends on the DOCTYPE since it's
> unlikely taht an "xmlns:" attribute was defined in the SVG DTD.

Exactly. In addition to probably violating the namespaces spec, the document is invalid in respect to the referenced DTD.

> Please check this
> first and log the bug in bugzilla

OK.

Tobi