Re: [xml] Thread safety

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 08:57:40AM -0700, Jerome Pesenti wrote:
Turning on thread safety in libxml seems to have a big
perfomance cost when doing XSL transformations.

Here is a typical example:

22ms Using libxml 20507 (--without-threads), libxslt
10030 and libexslt 719
37ms Using libxml 20507 (--with-threads, libxslt 10030
and libexslt 719
30ms Using libxml 20430, libxslt 10024 and libexslt

That is a 70% increase in running time (note the nice
30% improvement between 2.4.30/1.2.4 and 2.5.7/1.3.0)
which I can consistenly reproduce with different

Is there any way to go around this?

  make sure your memory allocator for threaded and non-threaded
operations is as fast. If you're on linux and using a not very recent
(i.e. something like RH9 with NPTL) then you're hitting the old
-lpthread memory allocator which had the kind of perf problem you
report. You don't report your OS setup but I suspect you have a not
very recent Linux setup ...

Other question: is --with-threads required for
thread safety when running different transformations
with different XML and XSL and the same global

  probably not but --with-threads introduce a level of
confidence I don't have without it. It may depend how your
application is coded...

Daniel Veillard      | Red Hat Network