[xml] xmllint not working with cdata as I expect...

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to XML and xmllint, so maybe this is a stupid
question, but I'm having trouble validating some XML against my DTD.
Basically, I've got a CDATA section into which I'm trying to put an '&',
and xmllint is choking on it. According to what I understand, & is a
perfectly valid character in a CDATA section. A snippet of my XML is:

<!DOCTYPE wrapper SYSTEM "http://www.tukati.com/dtds/TTest.dtd";>
<FTL:wrapper xmlns:FTL="http://www.tukati.com/dtds/TTestNS";>

 <FTL:URL Locator="sdf"/>

</FTL:wrapper>

....and the DTD it references is:
<!ELEMENT FTL:wrapper (FTL:URL*)>

<!ELEMENT FTL:URL EMPTY >
        <!ATTLIST FTL:URL Locator CDATA #REQUIRED>