[xml] XPATH question when used within namespace

When accessing any given element name within a tree document, the element name stored within xmlNodePtr->name is the element name without the namespace, as one would expect.

But with XPATH, when trying to access a particular element nodeset that is part of a namespace, the only solution I came upon was to use the contains clause. Is this normal behavior for XPATH or a Gnome feature? Given the following document hierarchy here is my query:

Envelope-Request
    Input-Parameters
         ds:Dataset
              ds:Row

XPATH QUERY:
"//Envelope-Request/Input_Parameters/*[contains(name(),'ds:Dataset')]/*[contains(name(),'ds:Row')]"

The above query was the only solution I discovered to access the "ds:Row" nodeset

Any clarification appreciated.